Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Friday, November 4, 2011

Siri won't talk to me!

It must have been something I said. I got my new iPhone 4S today and after an extended consultation with an AT&T phone support person, got the phone connected and up and operating. By the way, backing up your iPhone does not mean backing up your iPhone, what it means is that you save most of the official Apple settings, but you had better be ready to remember a lot of passwords to get yourself back up and running with email and such.

Back to Siri. She doesn't seem to want to talk to me. She claims that she has no network connection and cannot even set an appointment or do anything else. What does this remind me of? Well, yes. All of the other supposedly smart voice activated programs in the world, who don't turn out to be so smart and/or useful as they are touted to be.

Placed side-by-side with my old iPhone 4 you could not tell them apart. I will be comparing the camera with various of my other imaging devices such as high resolution cameras, regular cameras, scanners and etc. in the very near future. One reason I upgraded was the availability of a higher resolution camera, so it will be interesting to see how it stacks up copying real-world documents. I will publish the results as soon as I get them.

Since I had already upgraded to iOS 5 there just doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the new and older iPhone. Certainly nothing that leaps right out at you and says, hey, you got a new product here. I do notice that the iPhone loads a lot faster than the old one, but I was never dissatisfied with the speed of the older iPhone. The real reason I upgraded was more complex and involved data plans and retiring from my law practice. Not relevant to the hardware at all.

If I notice anything spectacular, I will let you all know about it. But for now, it is still about the same, which is very good by the way, but not a marked improvement over what I had before.

No comments:

Post a Comment