Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Update for 5 June 2012 on 1940 U.S. Census Project

Here are the statistics for the U.S. Census project to 5 June 2012:
  • 77,629,066 names have been indexed and arbitrated.
  • 18 states have published searchable indexes on FamilySearch.org. These states include Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and Wyoming.  
  • 5 additional states are 100% indexed, arbitrated and in the final stage of preparation for posting. 
  • 9 additional states that are 90% or more complete. To see the status of each state visit the 1940 US Census state-by-state progress map on the FamilySearch website.
  • 126,716 indexers have signed up to index the 1940 US Census
It is interesting to me that there are groups that I am acquainted with that are just now considering being involved in indexing. I have offered to help get them involved and they are in the "we'll call you when we are ready" mode. I am not holding my breath. I hope some or all of the enthusiasm for the 1940 U.S. Census carries over to some of the other valuable collections that need to be indexed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment