Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Read About RootsTech here

This next week, I will be attending the RootsTech 2013 conference. I have one class presentation on Friday Afternoon at 4:15 to 5:15 on Finding the Obscure and the Elusive: Geographic Information on the Web. The rest of the time I will be attending classes and writing posts when I am not talking to people and sharing stories. I will try to keep up the flow of commentary and reporting during the whole time I am there.

If you come to the Conference, you can probably find me at the Bloggers Hub on the Exhibition floor. I usually use that as a base of operations and to recharge my electronic devices. They have had some reserved seating in the front of the keynotes for bloggers, I guess they might do the same again. Otherwise, I will be lost in the masses like everyone else. I hope to meet some of the people I have only worked with online. I think this is one of the major benefits of such a large conference. I also look forward to seeing some of the people who live around the world and meeting new ones.

Please take time to come up to me and introduce yourself, if you see me. I love to meet new people and talk with them. But remember, the noise level at RootsTech is quite high and I am very hard of hearing so you might have to increase your voice level a bit so I can hear you.

I am also looking forward to talking with some of my new friends from the genealogy companies, especially MyHeritage.com and BillionGraves.com and others. I have a very interesting time talking to other developers and learning about their challenges, not all of which I am free to report in this blog.

Salt Lake City looks like it will have typical March weather, cool and likely wet. Anytime through April it could snow but there is no snow in the forecast, yet.

My wife usually comes with me to all my presentations and conferences, but she likes to choose her own classes so we keep our cell phones handy to communicate. If all else fails, we meet up at the Bloggers Hub.

One thing you do need for RootsTech is a really good pair of walking shoes. This is no place to worry about color coordination or fashion. The Salt Palace is really big and there are only a few, very crowded elevators, so you might end up, like I have, climbing huge staircases. I suggest that you get ready for this eventuality.

Also, think about what you want to carry around. It can get real old fast to try to carry too much. I have gone to using a wheeled pull case for my computer and projector at conferences.

Of course, there are a huge number of things to do in downtown Salt Lake City. I have lived there for years and visited frequently and still haven't seen everything downtown. The real gem for genealogists is the Family History Library. Just be aware, with this many people in town for a genealogy conference, it will be crowded also. But don't miss Temple Square and the Church History Library. You might also want a tour of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building which has a huge FamilySearch Center.

Well, see you there. If you can't make it. Be sure and try to watch the video presentations online.

No comments:

Post a Comment