Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Record Match from MyHeritage.com to all U.S. Census Records



At RootsTech 2013, MyHeritage.com announced that they would be adding all of the U.S. Censuses, from 1790 to 1940, to their online Record Match program. Today, they announced that the records had been added. I immediately went to MyHeritage.com and saw new Record Matches being added to my online family tree. Within a few hours the results started to show up in my online family tree. As of the time I am making this post, I had suggested records in the 1880, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940 U.S. Census records. It looked like all of the people found were in my family tree.

At the time of this post, the number of total suggested record matches for my family tree had increased to 2,679. It talking to a number of users of the program, it appears that the number of suggested sources varies depending on the length of time you have been with the program. Since I have had my tree up for some time, I am getting more sources than people who just signed up for the program.

This is fantastic, I am getting ancestors searched and located in each applicable U.S. Census year. What a huge time saver. I have looked up just one large family in every single applicable U.S. Census record and spent days of work, now I am getting all of the records semi-automatically and taking only the time to confirm the links and then the records are automatically saved to my Family Tree Builder Program.

The significance of this new update cannot be understated. Here is a statement from Gilad Japhet, Founder and CEO of MyHeritage:

“Adding the U.S. Censuses is paramount for offering a one-stop shop for family history", said Gilad Japhet, Founder and CEO of MyHeritage. "With this move we maximize value for users by combining the best family tree tools and the most powerful matching technologies with a massive library of historical content. The U.S. Censuses add incredible new value for our users, who will receive a string of new discoveries, and act as a catalyst for taking research further into the past and across new borders. This is just the tip of the iceberg as we’re set to add significant additional collections of historical records, both from the U.S. and around the world, in 2013.”
As further noted in the press release;
Translated into 40 languages, MyHeritage is the only company to deliver discoveries from the US censuses to a global audience. We're focused on bringing worldwide content to our international audiences, so expect to see significant record collections from many countries being added in the near future and beyond.
I will do a more in depth post on the new U.S. Census records at a later date.




No comments:

Post a Comment