Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Basic functions of FamilySearch Family Tree finally explained

Through the kind help and analysis of a Gordon Collett, a commentator on my Rejoice, and be exceeding glad... blog, and in response to questions about entering standardized date and place names in the FamilySearch.org's Family Tree program, I was finally able to understand how that program handles these entries. I have included Gordon's comments with some of my own in a post entitled, "Mystery Solved -- How Names and Places in FamilySearch Family Tree Work Revealed."

These comments answer the following questions:

  1. How do I preserve the original place name and still use the standardized place name selections?
  2. What is the difference between what is shown in the date and place fields and the standardized list?
  3. How do we preserve both the accurate date formats and place names?
  4. How do I get the children to show up sorted in birth order?

These and many other questions are answered in Gordon's comments. Please take time to read this rather long blog post and work through the examples given. It will clear up a lot of issues with the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment