Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Is there an iWatch in your genealogical future?

On Tuesday, 9 September 2014, Apple introduced its new "iWatch" aka "Apple Watch." First, the Watch will not be available until sometime in 2015. If you read this blog regularly, you have probably picked up my long term enthusiasm for Apple products. Whether or not I think the concept (dating back to Dick Tracy) is "cool" or whatever, really depends on whether I view this as another gadget or an essential tool. I think I need to note that I do not wear a watch, or any other jewelry, rings etc. at all. Period. So, personally, not matter how spiffy or useful, I am not inclined to be much interested. From my standpoint, I would have to agree to wear the watch (or anything) even before I was inclined to use it.

But let's suppose that you are fascinated by the new device. Other than the functions now performed by some other device or your own watch, is there anything that this watch will do that will benefit genealogy or genealogical research? The answer is very simple: not yet.

Of course, we also found out about the newly updated iPhone 6 with larger screens in two different configurations. Now here we have something of interest. I use my iPhone more or less constantly. It has a whole range of genealogical applications from apps connecting with online databases such as FamilySearch.org, Ancestry.com and MyHeritage.com to its ability to take high resolution photos and videos. What are the chances I will upgrade my iPhone? Very good, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment