Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Can you do genealogy on a mobile device?

There is still a distinction between what we call mobile devices, such as tablets, smartphones and the more traditional desk top computers with a separate keyboard, pointing device and monitor. The main distinction is the operation systems involved with mobile devices and the desktop computers' operating systems. iOS does not function the same as Mac OS X. Is a laptop computer a mobile device or a desktop computer? The distinction is which operating system it uses.

Granted, there is a vast difference between using an application on a mobile device and sitting down to 27 inch or larger monitor attached to high-powered computer. But the real question is not the differences in the devices, but the limitations of the software and the memory of the mobile device. For example, here are the system requirements to run Adobe Photoshop.
Windows
  • Intel® Core 2 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor; 2 GHz or faster processor
  • Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
  • 2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
  • 2 GB of available hard-disk space for 32-bit installation; 2.1 GB of available hard-disk space for 64-bit installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
  • 1024 x 768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 512 MB of VRAM (1 GB recommended)*
  • OpenGL 2.0–capable system
  • Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.**
Mac OS
  • Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
  • Mac OS X v10.9, v10.10 (64-bit), or v10.11 (64-bit)
  • 2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
  • 2 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)
  • 1024 x 768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 512 MB of VRAM (1 GB recommended)*
  • OpenGL 2.0–capable system
  • Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, membership validation, and access to online services.**

* 3D features will be disabled with less than 512MB
The bottom line is that although there has been a tremendous increase in the capabilities of mobile devices, there are still limitations in the input and capabilities of the mobile devices that make some kinds of work either unavailable or very difficult.

Two new devices, the Apple iPad Pro and the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 have engendered a great deal of online discussion about whether or not these devices will "replace" the more traditional laptop. The answer is mixed with some commentators adopting the new devices and others recognizing that although both are powerful mobile devices, they are not yet a substitute for the computing power and storage capacity of most laptop computers. 

I have been exploring the possibility of using one of the two devices instead of replacing my now aging MacBook Pro. So far, I have determined that I do not want to move to a mobile device. I am impressed with both the iPad Pro and the Surface Pro 4, but not enough to replace my MacBook Pro. I also looked at the possibility of replacing my iMac with a MacBook Pro attached to a large monitor. This is an attractive alternative, but also suffers from some limitations, mainly the cost of the system and the limitations on internal storage.

What about the programs? Many of the popular online genealogy programs and even the desktop based programs have mobile apps. Some of these apps are very functional but still, adding extensive notes or attaching media are cumbersome and mostly difficult with the mobile apps. Granted, I am involved in a very extensive and intense usage of computers compared to the "average" user (whatever average is) but it would not be a good idea to base your decision to adopt a particular mode of input, mobile vs. desktop, without realizing that you may decide to become more involved in the future. 

My solution is to do what I already do. Use the mobile devices to their capacity. Use a laptop for presentations and travel and finally, rely primarily on powerful desktop computers for the majority of my work. All three have their advantages and disadvantages. Right now, it looks like I will keep my present iPad for a while until the new iPads have an operating system or programs that will not run on my dated machine. I will likely replace my MacBook Pro with a new model, mostly because my old one has been dropped so many times it is about ready to break. But I will be watching to see if there is a reason to replace my desktop iMac. It is still functional, but I see signs that it will be failing in the not-to-distant future. 

The final answer to the question in the title is that you can do many genealogical tasks on a mobile device. You may find that using an iPad Pro or Surface Pro 4 will be sufficient for the way you use a computer. You may also find that you need the additional capacity and storage of a desktop device. I suggest you try out the mobile devices as they become available and decide your own best solution. 

3 comments:

  1. I keep online family trees at ancestry, familysearch, and my own website finlayfamily.org, as well as blog, do extensive research and digitization projects, spending several hours a day, many days a week on these efforts. I perform 95% of these tasks on my iPad Air 2 (and performed 80% of tasks on my previous iPad 2). I do use an external bluetooth keyboard when I need to type extensively, I do use several forms of cloud storage, and connection to my desktop for the occasional photo or document not accessible elsewhere. I guess if you choose to use a mobile device, you can find ways to do so. For me it comes down to this: as a busy mother of 7, I can find time to persue genealogy projects and research if the technology is portable. If I restrict myself to a desktop, or even laptop, my efforts would be severally hindered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that perspective. I routinely use programs such as Photoshop, Lightroom, and similar programs. I also do a fair number of presentations using my computer. I have Terabytes of storage and use a huge about of memory on my computer. For these and may more reasons, such as the 27 inch monitor, I work mostly on my desktop.

      Delete
  2. A very thoughtful perspective, James. I can only add that use of the mobile devices depends on very good internet service, not available to so many.

    It should also be noted that the tree-hosting websites are designing or redesigning with mobile-devices' limitations in mind, at least sometimes making them less functional, less attractive or less accessible for those using laptops or desktops. Not necessarily *dumbing down,* but in some instances more difficult (and/or more *clicky*) to use for many patrons.

    ReplyDelete