Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Saturday, February 25, 2017

My DNA: I did a webinar to explain my DNA test and other things

Rather than just write about the MyHeritage.com DNA test I recently took, I decided to do a webinar on the subject for the BYU Family History Library.


Can a DNA Test Help You Find Your Ancestors or Relatives? - Part 1 - James Tanner

There are actually two parts to this webinar because of a technical glitch, but the second part is quite short. I still had a cold from getting sick after RootsTech 2017 so you might also hear an occasional cough. Sorry. But I thought was a good idea to keep commenting on this very interesting subject.

Remember to subscribe to the BYU Family History Library YouTube Channel so you can get notified of any new videos.


2 comments:

  1. Very interesting, James. My situation is very different from yours. I only have about 1000 relatives I know of going out to only 3rd cousins because Jewish Romanian and Ukrainian records and last names only began in the early 1800's. By comparison, my Family Tree DNA results list over 8,000 people who match. (Isn't endogamy lovely) Only two of those people are in my 1,000. So I have potential to find the connections to new 4th and 5th cousins and thus new common ancestors through DNA analysis combined with genealogical research. I think this is possible with better tools, and that's what I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louis. I think that every perspective is important. You have a lot of work ahead of you with all those potential matches.

      Delete