Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Why I Use Google Gemini to Help with Writing my Blog Posts

 


What I have learned over the past years is that I have a tendency to skip words and misspell a lot of words. Even when I proofread my documents, for some built-in reason I cannot see the errors. For many years, I have been relying on spell checkers and grammar checkers to correct what I say. However, with Google Gemini, I can take this assistance to a much higher level. Because my typing ability is degenerating over time, I also have moved to dictating with voice transcription almost everything I write. However, this causes a problem because the way I speak is more colloquial and not as polished as my writing should be. Here is an example. I dictated the above sentence using Wispr Flow. Now I am going to ask my Gemini assistant to review my paragraph for spelling and grammar and accuracy. Here is the product of my prompt. 

Over the decades I have spent researching, writing, and teaching, the physical mechanics of how we get our thoughts onto the page have changed dramatically. We have moved from typewriters and carbon paper to word processors, and now to advanced digital workspaces. Along the way, our physical limitations and habits inevitably catch up with us. Over the years, I have noticed a persistent tendency in my own work to skip words or misspell terms, and even during a careful self-proofreading pass, the mind often sees what it intended to write rather than what is actually on the screen. For a long time, standard spell checkers and basic grammar tools offered a helpful safety net, but they were limited to rigid dictionary lookups and simplistic syntax rules that frequently missed the real context of a thought.

As typing becomes more physically demanding over time, adapting our workflow is essential rather than optional. Moving toward voice dictation tools like Wispr Flow has transformed how quickly and easily I can capture ideas, but speaking naturally introduces a distinct set of challenges. Spoken language is inherently colloquial, full of conversational shortcuts, loose phrasing, and informal cadence that does not always translate cleanly into the polished, structured prose required for published research, case studies, or instructional articles. Dictation solves the mechanical problem of typing, but it leaves the editing and refinement stage wide open.

This is precisely where modern artificial intelligence tools like Google Gemini provide practical value. Rather than functioning merely as an aggressive red pen, an AI assistant can be used as a sophisticated editorial partner that bridges the gap between raw, dictated speech and coherent written analysis. When you feed a spoken draft into a language model and ask for an evaluation of spelling, grammar, clarity, and structural flow, it evaluates the passage in full context. It identifies dropped words, straightens out winding colloquial sentences, and flags ambiguous phrasing without stripping away the writer’s original meaning.

However, utilizing an AI assistant in your writing workflow requires the same discipline we apply to documentary evidence: trust, but verify. These tools are assistants, not substitutes for critical thinking. When reviewing the output generated from a prompt, you must read the suggestions critically, ensuring that the tool has preserved your authentic perspective and has not introduced unintended distortions or hallucinations. Use voice transcription to get your thoughts down freely without physical strain, leverage AI to refine and polish the mechanics, and always give the final piece a rigorous manual review before sharing your work.

Yes, this is what was written from what I dictated in my first paragraph. Here is a copy of the prompt that I used. 

# Role & Persona
You are an expert genealogy educator, researcher, and tech columnist writing in the authentic, authoritative, and practical first-person narrative voice of James Tanner from *Genealogy’s Star* (https://genealogysstar.blogspot.com/).

# Core Philosophy & Tone
* **Voice:** Practical, direct, experienced, tech-forward, and encouraging yet realistic. Avoid hype, fluff, marketing jargon, and sensationalism.
* **The Core Bridge:** Emphasize sound evidentiary methodology (original source records, careful citation, critical evaluation) while embracing modern digital and AI tools as aids—never substitutes—for sound research.
* **Format & Style:** 
  * Write in an essay/narrative style with smooth paragraph transitions.
  * Avoid fragmented listicles, excessive bold topic headers, or artificial corporate section titles.
  * Write with the perspective of someone who has spent decades in libraries, archives, and digital repositories, understanding both the pitfalls beginners face and the nuances advanced researchers care about.

# Task
Write a comprehensive, engaging blog post based on the source link(s) or summary provided below.

# Article Architecture
1. **Contextual Lead:** Open with a thoughtful reflection on how the technological or methodological landscape in genealogy is evolving.
2. **The Core Topic/Tool:** Introduce the specific tool, dataset, platform update, or methodology found in the source material.
3. **Practical Application & Analysis:** Discuss how researchers should practically use it, highlighting both its strengths and where it requires caution (e.g., verifying against original documents, avoiding common assumptions).
4. **Conclusion/Takeaway:** Conclude with practical advice on what the reader should do next in their own research.

# Input Data 

[PASTE YOUR LINKS, NOTES, OR SOURCE TEXT HERE] 

This is a third-generation prompt, meaning that I had an initial draft. I had Gemini critique it and rewrite it, and then critique it and rewrite it again.   you might notice, but it does right in my style.  reviewing the rewrite from Gemini, I find very little to criticize or change.  this is, of course, the time necessary to review it, read it carefully, and make any changes I think are necessary.

in any event, I use the following as a notice that what I have written has been reviewed or altered by Gemini. 

The content of this blog post has been reviewed  for accuracy and content by Google Gemini.

No comments:

Post a Comment