Sorry I didn't try this before writing the last blog post on FamilySearch Books unavailable. When I got home from teaching genealogy classes, I had comments that led me to believe that the issue was a browser error. After trying FireFox and Safari, both of them work fine. I cannot run Internet Explorer on my iMac so I couldn't try that, but Google's Chrome definitely does not work. I often have to remind myself, when I have a Web malfunction, to try a different browser. Thanks for the comments and problem solved, I merely have to switch from Chrome to FireFox. This is the second major problem I have had with Chrome this week already and the week is just starting. The other problem involved losing sound in YouTube.com. That turned out to be a conflict with an Adobe add-on.
If you have the problem of very slow or non-existent downloads from FamilySearch.org Books, try a different browser.