Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Friday, March 25, 2011

This is only half of my Blog posting

For me, one of the events with the highest impact to come out of the RootsTech Conference was the announcement of the FamilySearch FamilyTech Blog site. The reason was because I went from writing one major Blog to writing two major Blogs. The bulk of my technical writing has been going into Family Tech during the past three months or so. Also, FamilyTech is a different blogging experience because the posts are moderated. That means that the FamilySearch team reviews and edits everything I write. Instead of instantly posting my comments, the whole post goes through several levels of review.

In addition to make things more interesting, the FamilyTech site is powered by WordPress instead of Blogger.com. So I had a steep learning curve to come up to speed with WordPress. It wasn't all that difficult, but it was different and I am still getting used to the differences. I had my usual reaction to the challenge, buy a book and read about WordPress and then start my own WordPress site. It still remains to be seen if I will get to the point of moving my Genealogy's Star Blog to WordPress or not. Right now, I have no plans to do so but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in the future.

There is a significant time commitment in trying to maintain two active Blogs. Actually, I have three now, but the Walking Arizona Blog doesn't eat up much time presently. I do find that writing a tech blog has a pretty high overhead of research. The accuracy of the information has to be checked and that means finding a source on the Internet.  This isn't meant to imply that I don't check Genealogy's Star for accuracy. If I make a mistake, my readers are not shy about telling what is wrong.

Family Tech is evolving into a very interesting and helpful site. Take a moment and check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your time and efforts on the Family Tech site, James! It's wonderful that it's available and so informative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making me aware of the Family Tech site. Also, I'm wondering what features of Wordpress seemed preferable to the Blogger software? I've never tried to compare the two.

    ReplyDelete