Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Monday, November 16, 2009

Thanksgiving -- the end of New FamilySearch

Well, not really the end, just the end of the longest software introduction in the history of computers. The Salt Lake Temple District will be completely given access to New FamilySearch on November 23, 2009. They should probably declare a national holiday. Oh, they did. Only it is three days later on Thursday, November 26, 2009.

On the home front, we are noticing a distinct slowdown of the New FamilySearch system as the minions of Utah join the rest of us online. I have started to receive E-mails from my relatives in Utah also, usually asking me to remove my disputes. I never realized how many disputes I had put into New FamilySearch. I have been removing them for the past year, since I am convinced that disputes do not accomplish what they were originally intended to accomplish. Yes, I said that right, I am removing all of my disputes.

As I have mentioned before, my family lines are so convoluted and inaccurate on New FamilySearch I see absolutely no way to untangle the mess, which, by the way, continues to grow every time I log on to the program. Until there is a way to correct really obviously wrong information, it is very discouraging to try to work with huge family lines on New FamilySearch.

On the other hand, if you have very limited information about your family and only a few generations, you have clear sailing and very little, if anything to complain about. Unfortunately, the program is also full of unintended consequences, but probably, the less said about that subject the better so as not to give people ideas on how to misuse the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment