Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Saturday, December 17, 2022

RootsTech 2023 will be here before you know it!

https://www.familysearch.org/rootstech/event/rt2023

When RootsTech.org went digital in 2021 and 2022, the entire nature of the conference changed. Attendance, one indicator of popularity, skyrocketed from tens of thousands of attendees to millions. RootsTech 2023 is designed as a hybrid conference with a reduced price, in-person component and a free online component. The benefit cost per attendee of an online conference, especially one that attracts millions of viewers, is tremendously less than any possible reduction in the cost of an in-person event. Additionally, by hosting a "free" online component, there is no additional income to offset the much higher cost of the in-person component. 

Of course, there are benefits of an in-person conference that cannot be reproduced online. The real question is whether those benefits outweigh the cost and time involved in staging such an event. 

I have attended every RootsTech Conference from the very first to my planned in-person attendance in 2023 and I do miss the opportunities to meet people in-person and renew acquaintances. I hope to see you there in 2023. I am presenting live during the very first hour of the conference on Thursday. The rest of the time I will most likely be somewhere in the Exhibit Hall probably with The Family History Guide booth, the Ambassador area, or wandering around. I may also have one or more presentations for MyHeritage. As the time grows nearer, I may have a more definite schedule. 


https://www.familysearch.org/rootstech/event/rt2023

No comments:

Post a Comment