Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Does a genealogist need a smartphone?



I am guessing that the title to this post is no longer a major issue with current statistics showing that 95% of people own some kind of cell phone and smartphone use in the United States is at 77% of the population. That means that about 3 out of every 4 people in the United States now own a smartphone. But are there some particular uses for smartphones for genealogy that make them a particularly desirable device?

The answer to that question depends entirely on the extent to which computers, not just smartphones, have become integrated into your genealogical research methodology. As I analyze my use of my own smartphone, an iPhone 8 Plus, here is how I use mine with comments on the applicability to genealogy.

I obviously use my iPhone as a telephone but I make and receive a very few telephone calls. Most of my interpersonal communication is by email or on social networking programs. Since a significant amount of information about the genealogical community I monitor comes in the form of email or on Facebook or other social networking websites, this is by far my most constant use of my iPhone. On a regular day, I receive in excess of 50 email messages and probably double that number of messages on social networking. I limit my time on social networking and get notifications by email when someone wants to contact me.

Most genealogists are probably not as integrated into the online genealogical community as I am so I am guessing that few people use their smartphone primarily for genealogically related communication.

The second most used part of my iPhone is the camera. I use my iPhone camera constantly and even though most of my usage is for my photography interest, I do use the camera to record documents and photos related to genealogy. I take hundreds (sometimes thousands) of photos a month and now many of these are taken using my iPhone. Here is a recent example of a documentary stamp from a probate document. Documentary stamps were used on legal documents to pay the filing fees. I now use my iPhone for taking notes and making copies while doing research in libraries and archives where they are allowed.


Of course, I use my iPhone for reading books, doing research, watching the weather, as a GPS device with Google Maps and for a quick reference to answer questions or use a calculator. All of these integrate into genealogy from time to time.

Now, there are a number of specific apps for genealogy. I frequently go online on my iPhone and use FamilySearch.org, MyHeritage.com or Ancestry.com and they all have dedicated apps. I keep a lot of my information in RootsMagic also and use their app on my iPhone.

The main limitation of using any smartphone for the above functions is the lack of a full-sized keyboard. However, for short messages, it turns out that we are using voice recognition apps such as the one from Google called Gboard. By the way, I do not like or use Siri.

So the question is does a genealogist NEED a smartphone. As usual, the answer is that it depends. I would feel like I was kicked back 30 years if I didn't have almost constant access to a computer and/or my iPhone. It that a good thing or a problem? I think the answer to both questions lies in how intense you are about almost constantly incorporating information into your life.




3 comments:

  1. Interesting question you pose James. Being pretty much of a techie kinda gal I can’t imagine life without my devices. I use my iPhone in many of the same ways you do. I will say, though, that I use my iPad much more than the iPhone. Unless of course, I’m out and about.
    I am of the opinion that to conduct proper genealogy research one does need a computer.
    However, having the apps, phone, camera and internet options of the Smartphones and tablets are wonderful additions and enhance our experience. I personally couldn’t live (well, wouldn’t want to) without them. 😃

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your good health. Because my husband is disabled, I think I am on the phone all the time with doctors' offices, medical supply companies, and health insurance companies. Given the amount of time I log on hold, a cell phone would be dead all the time. For that reason, in addition to a cell phone, we have a landline and three hand sets!!! Always a freshly charged phone around here. No smart phone, though. Can't afford it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you should know that you can use your cell phone while it is recharging. We got rid of our landlines years ago.

      Delete