Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Monday, July 6, 2020

Beginning the Mayflower Quest Part Six: Looking at the changes

This is my photo of the Plymouth Rock. You can see the seam where the two parts were put back together

Here is the notice from FamilySearch this week about the changes to the people I am watching. 


FamilySearch has announced that they will stop sending out the emails and that in the future, they will be notifying users through the internal FamilySearch.org Family Tree Messaging system. As of the date of this post, I am still getting weekly email notices. 

How many of these changes were to my target ancestor Francis Cooke LZ2F-MM7? The answer is 40 changes in one week. Here is a screenshot of part of the list.


There are some changes that were not in the count from FamilySearch because they occurred the day this post was written. What am I going to do? Basically, use the same system that I have now used for years. I gave an example of what I might say back in Part Four of this series. 

The first issue on the list is someone adding in parents for Francis Cooke without reading the Life Sketch or knowing anything about him or his history. Here is what has been added:


Of course, there were no sources added and no reason for adding a duplicate record. This person saw that Francis Cooke was born in 1583 and now so changed the date of Edward Cooke's death to 1583 all without a source. What am I going to do? I will make the necessary changes by merging the duplicate and unlinking the child. This leaves a floating duplicate for Edward Cooke and his wife Alice Caunton. The changes have been made. I did find the duplicate for Edward Cooke and resolved that one also. 

Making those changes back solved the issues for a while. My next step will be to create an entry on Ancestry.com with all the sources and information about Francis Cooke. This backup of the information will allow me to restore any information that may be lost by changes. When I looked at Ancestry.com, I can exchange information back and forth because of the FamilySearch/Ancestry Partnership and the access to Ancestry provided to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Because of this link, I discovered another duplicate of Francis Cooke in the Family Tree which I resolved. 

Another task for the near future is to go through all 56 sources listed for Francis Cooke and make sure they are all actually sources. 

See these previous posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment