Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Comments on social networking posts


Between comments from Protestant Church members worrying about my salvation and lack of a belief in Christ because I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and my conservative friends passing along the latest conspiracy theory or chain-letter sob story, even looking at social networking programs has become somewhat of a chore. The only thing that keeps me looking is to see which of my friends and acquaintances have died recently and to keep up with those of my children who still post. I almost never post anything about me or my personal life on social networking. The only exceptions are photos that I post to Instagram to a very small audience. 

I have a substantial social networking presence despite my antipathy to social networking because of my blogs. I hardly ever get substantial comments on any of my blogs no matter what I write. Genealogy is hardly a controversial subject and neither is my photography. Some of the people I know get long comments that are really tirades on one subject or another. Sometimes when I pass along a post by one of my friends or family members, I get comments calling me a Marxist and claiming that the post is FAKE NEWS always in capital letters. 

Ernest Agyemang Yeboah once said, "We fail to say the right words because we choose to say the wrong words! We choose to say the wrong words because we fail to think about the right words!” Presently, I am caught between the urge to speak my mind and a concern that I would alienate a substantial portion of my friends from the past. I am becoming more and more circumspect in my comments and if I make any at all although I get disgusted with the drivel that gets posted online. 

Here is one example. I live in a smaller town in Utah. I am older and have a medical history that would make catching the COVID-19 virus life-threatening. The people who surround me are either convinced that the whole "virus thing" is a hoax or that wearing a mask is a violation of their "fundamental constitutional rights." Here is a chart showing the progress of the virus here in Utah.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/utah/

We are basically isolated in our home because the people of Utah do not believe there is a problem with over 200,000 people dying in the United States from the COVID-19 virus (as of the date of this post, the number was 203,880). Unbelievably, the government of Utah, six months into a pandemic is still debating back and forth about an appropriate response. In my opinion, this indecision is caused by the huge percentage of the population, including the government people, who do not yet view the pandemic as a public health issue and still think it is a political issue.

I was a trial attorney in Arizona for almost forty years. I have spent most of my life listening to clients and evaluating evidence for lawsuits. I am very familiar with outrageous claims, emotional rants, diatribes, claims that rights have been violated, and all of the other impedimenta of the law. I have handled cases involving hurt feelings and cases involving matters of life and death. In all those years, I cannot say I have ever run across a claim so lacking in any logical or legal support than that someone has a legal right to put my life in danger by failing to wear a cloth facemask. I have extensively read the arguments on both sides of the face mask issue. I do not believe, after years of teaching and arguing cases involving constitutional law that there is anything about the public health practices of isolating actively contagious people or requiring them to wear a face-covering that violates any basic right and certainly nothing in the Constitutional Law of the United States of America. Wearing or not wearing a mask is not a political issue or a political statement. It is a dangerous intrusion on my basic human rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. 

Objections to the wearing a mask usually involve using words such as those quoted in an article entitled, "The Constitution doesn’t have a problem with mask mandates." Here is a quote that expresses what those who claim wearing masks violate their rights usually say:

Mandatory masks violate the First Amendment right to speech, assembly, and especially association and mandatory masks violate a person’s constitutional right to liberty and to make decisions about their own health and bodily integrity.

There is an old legal saying that your right ends where mine begins. Wearing a mask does not limit my freedom of expression. Wearing a mask does not restrict my liberty in any way. The evidence that face masks limit the spread of contagious diseases is overwhelming. Your decision to spread a communicable disease does not rise to the level of a right to liberty. Online, I was able to find 516 Federal Court cases involving the term "face mask." Many of these cases involved facts that did not have anything to do with rights, they were cases where a plaintiff was alleging damage due to an employer refusing to allow the plaintiff to wear a protective facemask in dangerous situations such as welding, and other activities involving potential harm. Another large number of cases had to do with inmates in prison who were ill and required to wear protective masks even when they were not contagious. 

However, the issue of face masks during COVID-19 pandemic has come up in the Federal Court system. The case of United States of America v. Vincent J. Trimarco, Jr. Defendant. 17-CR-583 (JMA) (E.D.N.Y. Sep. 1, 2020). Has some particularly interesting language. The issue of the jury and the defendant wearing face masks was raised as an issue concerning the postponement of the trial. A number of specific constitutional rights were raised concerning the wearing of facemasks and the Court denied all of the defendant's arguments. Here is a summarizing quote from the opinion:

The Court recognizes that proceeding with a trial during an unprecedented global pandemic presents numerous costs, inconveniences, and logistical challenges for all parties involved. Nonetheless, in recent months, the state of New York and the Long Island region, in particular, have experienced significant and sustained improvements in the number of COVID-19 transmissions, hospitalizations, and deaths. Life has slowly begun to approach a return to normalcy in many ways. Just as many businesses have restored their operations while adopting various safety measures, so too must the Court. This encouraging trend has created "a window of opportunity for holding a public trial . . . and it is not clear how long those conditions will maintain." Id. at *2. Public health experts have warned about the possibility of a "second wave" of potential infections in areas where virus conditions have improved. Before that fear materializes, the Court should not squander the opportunity to conduct a trial while utilizing all of the health and safety precautions at its disposal. 

The health and safety precautions mentioned in the case include wearing a face mask. Politicizing a public health issue and endangering my life overcomes my reticence in writing online and posting to social media. This is not a political issue. It is a matter of my own health and safety. Within a few short days, the death toll from the COVID-19 virus will rise dramatically in Utah. I do not want to be one of those who die. 

If you think that your rights are being violated by a public health measure, why don't you stop taking baths during our extreme drought in Utah? Why not stop washing your hands or cleaning your house? Why not stop preparing and cooking your food properly? Stop going to the doctor for your illnesses and abandon every other healthy practice? I realize that because I am old you do not care if I die but I can assure you I do and I can still write. So if you decided to post a comment to this post, be aware that I will respond. Also, if you decided to rant about FAKE NEWS and cite bogus studies about how face masks are harmful, I will respond with research. This is not a political statement, it is a matter of my life and my death.

21 comments:

  1. Thank you for your thoughts. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always appreciate your posts and blogs! Thanks for sharing your insights and knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always appreciate your posts and blogs! Thanks for sharing your insights and knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always appreciate your posts and blogs! Thanks for sharing your insights and knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sympathize and agree completely. I admit that I had expected people to come together more (in cause, not physically), rally together, and do what was necessary to protect, serve, and love each other.

    Even if one doesn’t care for their neighbor, it’s in our own medical and economic self-interest to do our part to control the pandemic.

    It’s like we are in some giant, life-or-death “marshmallow test”. And we are failing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Mr. Tanner - I stand with you on this. I can't help but wonder if those who think wearing a mask violates their rights, stop at red lights or stop signs. Stay safe, stay healthy and live long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your post. I am in the same position you are and don't like people thinking that it is their right to expose me to something that WILL kill me. I haven't been able to leave my house since March 11. Just because I'm older and have health problems, should that mean that I don't have the right to exist?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great article! My husband and I wear them whenever we go out to any store. Not only for our safety but for others. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said James. We are with you and keeping our distance from others here in Canada, including family. Our children all live far away anyway, so we are not tempted to get together. Thank goodness for WeChat and Facetime. We hope you stay safe and well. The world still needs saner heads.
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was in Summit County for a week this summer. It was a wonderful week of hikes to stay away from people. During our stay there was a mandatory mask requirement. I was surprised and pleased that on trips to town, everyone was following the rules. I wish this was the case everywhere. Stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is very hard to understand why wearing a mask during a pandemic continues to be a political issue. With over 200,000 deaths we are all within a few degrees of separation from families devastated by this disease. All of us probably know people who have tested positive and been sickened to greater or lesser degrees. I whole-heartedly agree with your thoughts on the subject. Best wishes for continued resolve and good health.

    ReplyDelete
  12. James,
    I follow your blog(s) and, mostly, am in agreement with much of what you have to say. Your religious beliefs and, indeed, all of your opinions are yours and I do not understand why others feel the need to criticize.
    As for social media, I hate that FaceBook has essentially replaced the old, useful, sites from Usenet (e.g. rootsweb, etc.). Aside from having a poor understanding of spelling and grammar, there are no criteria for posting on most social media without the benefit or forethought.
    Finally, while also immunity-compromised, I am fortunately (at least in this regard) not a resident of the USA so do not face quite the same hurdles as you folks do.
    Keep blogging and stay safe.
    Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have followed your blog for quite some time and have always enjoyed reading your informative posts. But I have never felt compelled to respond until today.

    I completely agree with you and fully endorse your comments in your post on Covid. I don't care what your politics are or who you plan to vote for. The current health crisis is real and has sadly become a political football rather than a scientific problem to be addressed.

    As always, your writing is clear. Your argument in this post is methodical, logical, and persuasive to a rational mind open to an honest assessment of the facts.

    The only point with which I would take issue is your projection that "because I am old, you do not care if I die..." For those who cry "hoax," it's not even an issue of caring. They have simply deluded themselves into thinking the pandemic is not real.

    I'm sure some may complain that this was not the proper forum to state your views. But I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you for speaking your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a Baptist and a conservative. I just don't understand why people have to drag their faith and political belief into things. We all have our own opinions on whether or not we should do this or that. We should be able to live life as we see it and not worry about others.

    I don't know if you subscribe to Netflix, but there is a really good documentary called The Social Dilemma. It is very eye opening on how the creators are working on their users. All of the people interviewed were creators/investors/presidents/vice presidents of these outlets and how they no longer use social media. If it were not for my genealogy and blogger groups, I would leave social media.

    I don't comment a lot here, but I do thank you for sharing all you do. You were the first genealogy blogger I started following and have learned so much. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally agree with you! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with what you have written here. I cannot decide if people who refuse to wear face masks are completely ignorant of the facts or if they are utterly, completely selfish or simply don't care that their actions can endanger others such as you and I and countless others.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for speaking your mind. The response to such a simple public health measure has been beyond my comprehension.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree. I love reading your blog, but I don't often make comments. It doesn't mean I'm not reading!

    ReplyDelete