Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Friday, March 4, 2022

New Scanning and Story Apps from Ancestry.com

 

Ancestry.com has partnered with Photomyne.com to add a new scanning feature to the Ancestry.com mobile app. Here is a screenshot of the Photomyne.com website. 

https://photomyne.com/

The Ancestry mobile app includes the scanning capability. You can also tag the photos so they appear with your individual ancestors in your family tree gallery. I have tried this feature and it is seamless. It is a quick way to add all your photos to your Ancestry.com family tree. 

You start by opening the Ancestry mobile app. Of course, you need an Ancestry subscription to build and view your family tree. Once you are registered and signed in, you can view your Ancestry family tree. Here is an example screenshot.


First, you click on the tree icon. Then select the scanning icon that appears in the upper right-hand corner. Then the following screen appears, and you click the plus sign. 

You then take the photo with your smartphone and it is automatically "cleaned up" or enhanced. You can then tag the photo and add it to the people on your family tree. 

Once you go through the process, it is quite simple. I had a hard time getting shadows out of my photos, so you have to find a light source that eliminates the shadows. 

If you are serious about scanning a lot of photos, say more than a hundred or so, I would suggest finding a way to steady your camera. I would suggest you explore Shotbox.me. I will be posting about Shotbox shortly. 

The Story app works within the Ancestry app to write a short story with a photo from your gallery. It is a link that now appears on the startup page. More to come I am sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment