Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Google adds back in time to Street View

I am still amazed at the number of people who do not know about Google Maps' Street View. When I teach classes on Google, I click down to show the Street View and there are always oohs and awes. Just in case you haven't looked at this valuable tool, here is a screenshot showing the current Street View of the Mesa FamilySearch Library:


The blurry parts of the image are probably people that have been edited out. Now, you can go back and look at previous Street Views of the same location. Presently, this only goes back to about 2007 or the earliest Street View after that date available. This only works if you see a clock in the upper left-hand portion of the screen. I wasn't able to find any of these new clocks in the Phoenix area, but the whole program has just now been introduced. To read more, go to the Google Blog entitled, "Go back in time with Street View."

4 comments:

  1. When I look up my own address in Google Street View, it points to someone else's house. It's close, but wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In places I have been in Texas, the GPS is off as much as a half a mile or more. They are not infallible.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Both of you that it isn't infallible, but a wonderful resource for getting a sense of the area. A "back in time" perspective will be great, thanks James. I've used street view when real,estate hunting and often found more about the house incl pre-renovation or extension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James,

    Thanks for this info.!

    I want you to know that your blog post is listed in today Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/04/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-april-25.html

    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete