Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Friday, July 27, 2018

Australian National Library's 50th Anniversary Celebration

https://www.nla.gov.au/blogs/trove/2018/07/24/troves-treasures-politics
During 2018, the National Library of Australia celebrates the 50th anniversary of its iconic building.

https://www.nla.gov.au/faq/category/library-services
Trove, the Library's digital discovery service, is joining the celebrations with '50 Objects': a tour of 50 of the most interesting and important records in Trove. Every week, for the next ten weeks, we'll be featuring fascinating Trove treasures on our blog, in an ode to digitally accessible Australian content.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/
You may or may not be able to see from this screenshot that the National Library of Australia's online digital collections now include 586,694,966 images. Whenever I mention this tremendous online collection to genealogists, I get a comment about not having Australian ancestors. I happen to have three ancestral lines that have ties to Australia and my ancestors in two of the lines settled in Australia in the 1850s and subsequently, I have perhaps hundreds (thousands?) of Australian cousins.

However, if you have ancestors from Great Britain, Ireland, or even Western Europe, you may very well have some relatives in Australia that share your English, Welsh, Scottish, or Irish heritage.

During the next few weeks, I will be highlighting my Australian ancestors and their descendants. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment