Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Monday, November 6, 2017

Remarkable Lists of Genealogy Pages on Facebook

https://socialmediagenealogy.com/genealogy-on-facebook-list/

Occasionally something comes along that moves from the ordinary to the extraordinary. I have been writing for some time about the movement of online genealogy from blogging to social networking websites such as Facebook.com. These lists compiled by Genealogist Katherine R. Willson and others dramatically illustrate that movement. Here is a description of the link to her list from her article shown above:
Download the 337 page PDF file containing 11,700+ links (updated in November 2017) to English-speaking Facebook groups & pages related to genealogy & history here: 
“Genealogy on Facebook” List
She also has a Facebook page and mentions two other lists.
To be notified each time the list is updated, please “like” my professional Facebook page at www.facebook.com/SocialMediaGenealogy.org
Gail Dever has a broader Canadian list that includes French-speaking groups & pages, and that can be downloaded at Facebook for Canadian Genealogy. Alona Tester has an Australian list that can be downloaded at Facebook for Australian History & Genealogy.
This also emphasizes the complexity of the wider, online genealogy community. It also demonstrates to me how impossible it is to know everything that is going on in that community and how small a part I play in whatever is going on.

https://www.facebook.com/SocialMediaGenealogy.org

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for highlighting my list, James! I'm having a bit of a fan-girl moment over here, saying, "Oh my gosh! OH MY GOSH! James Tanner knows who I am!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all that work, I should be saying the same thing about you. Thanks for the list. It helps in more ways than I think you intended.

      Delete
  2. FamilySearch has Research Groups on Facebook. I find them by searching for Facebook on the FamilySearch Wiki. I used one for Germany a few years ago to help a friend translate/decipher the handwriting on some German records she was trying to use. I uploaded her images and in a very short time, minutes to hours, we had the information she needed. I hope those still work as well as that one did for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is time to start focusing on Facebook for genealogy.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for including my Canadian Facebook list! Katherine R. Willson was my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete