Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Thursday, July 18, 2019

The Collapse of Personal Voice Recognition


Over the years, I have been working with voice recognition software and testing all of the programs I have been able to find. During the past few years. I have used a program called Dragon Dictate from Nuance.com. In 2018, Nuance announced that they were discontinuing support and sales of the Mac version of their program. This week my copy of Dragon Dictate failed to work probably due to an Apple OS X update. The end of using the program arrived.

Now what?

I rely on voice recognition to work when I have a lot of writing on a deadline. What are my alternatives?

Interestingly, there are still reviews and advertisements for the Mac version of the Dragon Professional Program for the Mac. However, some superficial investigation shows that the sales are for a discontinued product. Apparently, Mac users have been forced out of the market for voice recognition software.

Apple and Google both have voice recognition software. The question is do they work? Look at the first paragraph of this post. I am going to use each of three voice recognition programs to dictate that paragraph without correcting any errors. I will speak clearly and slowly. Here it goes.

No. 1: Chrome or Google Docs Voice (Works with Google Docs) By the way, it took me five or six tries to get this much.

Over the years, I have been workingHopefully years, IHopefully years, I have been working with voice recognition software and testing all of the programs I've been able defined. I have been using a program called Dragon dictate from nuance.com in 2018, nuanced announced that they were discontinuing support and sales of the Mack version of their program. This week, my copy of dragon dictate failed to work properly due to an Apple OS X update the end of using the program arrived. The end of using the program arrived.

You can see that I need to do a significant amount of editing. 

No. 2 Apple Dictation

Hopefully years, I have been working with voice recognition software I'm testing all the programsI have been able to find.During the past few years,I have used a program called DragonDictate from nuance.comIn 2018,Nuance announced that they were discontinuing support and sales of the Mac version of their programThis week my copy of dragon dictate failed to work properly due to an Apple OS X update

Missed words and more editing. The idea is to try to reach the level of accuracy that, at least, equals my typing skills. If I have to correct a lot of errors, I might as well type the paragraph and forget trying to use voice recognition. 

Does anyone out there have any suggestions that do not include working on a PC?




No comments:

Post a Comment