Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Benefits of the Overson Glass Negatives


This is Ove Christian Oveson on the left, standing behind his wife, Mary Kjerstine Christensen Oveson and Lars Peter Oveson, his brother standing behind his wife, Luisa Otterstrom Oveson. Ove Christian Oveson is my Great-great-grandfather. He was born in Tars, Tars Sogn, Hjorring, Denmark on 31 July 1840.

For considerable information about this family, see my daughter's blog, TheAncestorFiles.

This is a developed positive taken from the original glass negative, likely taken either by Charles Jarvis, my Great-great-grandfather or his daughter, Margaret Godfrey Jarvis Overson, my Great-grandmother. We have had poor copies of this original photo in books and as prints but this is original.

We obtained these negatives by virtue of the diligence of my cousin Randy Cameron, who preserved them for many years. I am in the process of digitizing these negatives which will ultimately end up in a major university repository.

We obtained these negatives as a result of an inquiry as to who had them, posted by my daughter in her blog.

2 comments:

  1. No way! Cool!! What a picture! That's actually a different picture than the one in the Overson book, so it looks like two were taken, one with their wives and one without.

    Is Mary wearing a wig? I'm trying to remember if Ove said anything in his diary about her health in her later years, but I can't remember.

    Ove was 12 years older than his brother, and you can really tell in this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have both of them. They were obviously taken at the same time.

    ReplyDelete