Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Monday, June 25, 2012

Direct link between New.FamilySearch.org and Family Tree

FamilySearch Family Tree was introduced at the RootsTech Conference as a replacement for New.FamilySearch.org. Since February and RootsTech, there have been incremental changes to Family Tree. Now there is a direct link in New.FamilySearch.org inviting users of that program to move to the Family Tree program. The link in found in the Sources selection in New.FamilySearch.org and states:
Sources are no longer available through new.familysearch.org. If you don't have access to FamilySearch's new Family Tree feature, click the link below.

https://www.familysearch.org/invite/familytree_tab
As an aside, a lot of confusion could be avoided if FamilySearch would be a little more judicious in using the term "new" for everything. I find a lot of confusion between the new FamilySearch Family Tree and New.FamilySearch.org. See what I mean?

Back to the subject. Apparently, anyone who tries to view a source or enter another source into New.FamilySearch.org will be directed to Family Tree.  You get a view of the existing sources and when you close the window, this message pops up.

I am noticing that additional inaccurate information keeps being posted to Family Tree all the time. I cleaned up a couple of my ancestors only to find a long list of additional wrong information added to the site. Looks like a full time job with overtime.

2 comments:

  1. James, you noted, "I am noticing that additional inaccurate information keeps being posted to Family Tree all the time. I cleaned up a couple of my ancestors only to find a long list of additional wrong information added to the site. Looks like a full time job with overtime."

    Yes indeed. And wikiwars will be endemic once the site is fully enabled for adding/changing relationships. The pace will accelerate once it is opened to the public. I don't see how anyone could have expected anything different from a beginning compiled from largely genealojunk. Did someone say something about a silk purse and a sow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to print family trees for a reunion. Could you please recommend a stand-alone program I can buy that provides ease and flexibility for printing tree charts.

    ReplyDelete