Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Saturday, December 28, 2019

The End of the Decade: 2019 in review



2019 completes my eleventh year of blogging on Genealogy's Star. My first post was on November 11, 2008. This is post number 5,660. If I count my blog posts for all three blogs, Genealogy's Star, Rejoice, and be exceeding glad... and Walking Arizona, I have 8,046 posts. I don't have a number, but that number includes millions of words. Right now, the three blogs, have all-time views of 6,453,166 on Blogger. That number does not include all the views on other social media websites where I don't have cumulative numbers but the number of monthly views on all of my social media sites is running into the tens of thousands a month.

During the past eleven years, I have seen genealogy blogging wax and wane in popularity. Blogging has moved from being a personal venue into an almost exclusively commercial advertising venue. My impression is that blog posts are lost in the overall flood of online information. My most popular venue presently is Pinterest.com but I am sure that Instagram.com coupled with smartphone cameras is on its way to kill off almost all of the personal blogs.

During 2019, I have decided to focus more on interpersonal teaching and mentoring rather than spending all my time writing, teaching classes, and doing presentations. I am sure that during the year to come, I will focus more on teaching individuals than doing classes and presentations. I still have a huge pile of genealogy papers to organize and I think it is about time I spend some significant time putting that pile in order.

Last year was noteworthy in the experiences we had together with our first trips to Europe and presenting at the MyHeritage LIVE Conference in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

I am sure that 2020 will be a challenging and interesting year and I am looking forward to everything that is going to happen.

3 comments:

  1. James, I (we) wish you a happy and healthy new year AND thank you for all that you do for the world of genealogy.
    Ron Baker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read your blog for a very long time and have learned a lot. Thank you for sharing with us. I'll miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry if it sounds like I am dying, I will keep writing until they send me off to the care center and maybe even then.

    ReplyDelete