Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Friday, August 31, 2018

A Plague of Robo Calls



What do the following cities all have in common?
  • Shingle Springs, California
  • Algonquin, Illinois
  • Bloomington, Illinois
  • Midvale, Utah
  • Bountiful, Utah
  • Casper, Wyoming
They are all places that originated robocalls to me in the last day or so. They are also places that I have absolutely no contact with. None of these callers left a voice message. What can I do about the calls? Apparently, not much. Here is a link to the Federal Trade Commission, Consumer Information, Robocalls. Here is also a video from the FTC about robocalls. 


What do I do about the robocalls? I do not answer my phone unless I can identify who is calling. If you call me and do not leave a message, I will not call you back unless my caller ID shows that you called. It is a bother, but usually, even when I have the sound on my phone turned on, these calls do not seem to ring through. There are a number of YouTube videos on this subject so if you want to know a lot more, you can watch some of them. 

3 comments:

  1. We signed up for Nomorobo, which blocks the majority of the calls after no more than one ring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased a device that screens all in-coming calls and blocks them if it's a robocall. If one get through, I don't answer. If the caller has legitimate business with me, (s)he'll leave a message. If no message is left, I go to my device (sitting on my home office desk (small footprint), scroll to the in-coming call log record, and push the big red button to block future calls from this caller. I have over 90 such in-coming calls blocked that were missed by nomorobo (also installed on my voip service with Spectrum. eBay lists the device for about $65. Amazon about $99. And the manufacturer $100 (no shipping or tax).

    Manufacturer: https://www.callblockerusa.com/pages/v5000-easy-pay-usa
    Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/CPR-V5000-Call-Blocker-Robocalls/dp/B0191XMBV2/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_229_bs_tr_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ASGRSNKS7D1WEVXQMBX9

    I have no interest in this company, nor do I get any compensation. I'm just a satisfied customer sharing a means to stop these annoying interruptions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nomorobo.com blocks 90 % of these kinds of calls, Great!

    ReplyDelete