Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Friday, February 10, 2012

Indexing the 1940 U.S. Census

I received the following from FamilySearch Indexing and thought I would pass it along. There is a huge push to add indexers to the program to make shorter work of the 1940 U.S. Census index. I have found a great deal of interest in the Census in talking to people this week as I returned from RootsTech 2012.

Here is the notice:


Thank you for your interest in helping to index the 1940 US Federal Census to allow everyone the ability to find their ancestors in this incredible historical record.

NARA will release the images for the 1940 census on April 2, 2012. The digitized records will be available for indexing as quickly as possible.

We recommend you get started today, so you have a little experience under your belt prior to the release of the census. Please visit http://indexing.familysearch.org and click on the link to Get Started to download the indexing software.

If you do not have a FamilySearch or LDS account, you will be prompted to create one when you start the FamilySearch indexing application. Once you start the program, you can select a batch of images a number of available projects. The following projects will help you best prepare for the 1940 census: WWI Draft Cards, WWII Draft Cards, Iowa 1895 State Census, UK 1871 Census, Boston Passenger Lists, Port of Detroit Manifests, Ohio Tax Records, Philadelphia Passenger Lists, and Texas County Tax Rolls.

You can also watch a brief overview of how to do indexing   to help get you started.

Thanks Again,

The 1940 US Census Community Project

2 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for giving everyone remarkably nice possiblity to read from this web site. It's always so cool and jam-packed with a good time for me personally and my office fellow workers to visit your site nearly 3 times weekly to see the fresh items you have got. Not to mention, we are at all times pleased concerning the unbelievable thoughts served by you. Certain 3 points on this page are undeniably the most effective I have ever had.
    Global Military Gear Aluminum Tactical Foregrip with Storage Cavity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting information, James - I signed up as soon as I heard they were looking for volunteers, but have heard absolutely nothing since. I assumed they would get in touch "eventually" when they were "ready" for indexers. I've indexed for freeBMD in the past for several years. Hopefully I'll get one of these emails soon too. Thanks for sharing the information.

    ReplyDelete