Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Sunday, February 23, 2014

GigaBit Networks and Genealogy


Recently I saw a Google blog post about their Googlefiber cities. Apparently, Provo, Utah where one of my daughter lives and now Phoenix, Arizona are both on the list for expansion of the Google Fiber Optic networks. I assume these new Google networks are in direct competition with the present Internet service providers which I think is good. My present service provider is running at about 5 Mbps (5 Megabits per second) for the economy service with the higher rate service at 50 Mbps at almost double the cost. Google's service is free for 5 Mbps and is about the same price for 1 Gigabit (1000 Mbps). In Provo, Utah the higher speed Internet costs $70 per month for Internet only service.

Because of this huge advantage, the old Walking Arizona guy is moving to Provo, Utah. (No, just kidding about the reason, but we are moving) assuming all goes as planned. We should be there completely by sometime this summer.

I am serious about the fact that the current Internet service providers need some competition. OK, so what does this have to do with genealogy. Oh, only if you are reading this online and sitting at a computer linked to the Internet.

1 comment:

  1. Have a great move. Thanks for the superb articles. I expect more.

    ReplyDelete