Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Friday, February 28, 2014

Reflections on Spam Comments on Blogs

Lately, it seems that more and more spammers are using comments on blogs to attempt to advertise their websites or whatever. The usual comment I get is from a specific business saying something vague such as "Oh, I really love your blog. Please keep writing such interesting and helpful blog posts. ABC Company website reference." This kind of stuff is why they developed the delete key.

If you want your comment to survive my delete key, I suggest you make a specific comment about the content of the blog you choose for your message. Otherwise, I will continue to delete messages that are intentionally vague and do not refer to any of the content of the blog posts. I suggest we all do the same thing. Please do not get me wrong. I love good, pertinent comments. I do not like spam.

4 comments:

  1. Really great observation, now I almost expect such similar comments on my blog to be spam and am almost surprised when the comments are genuine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually the spammers are linking to a site that has nothing to do with genealogy. It is rather simple.

      Delete
  2. On some blogs, I get constant spam on old posts, usually along the same line as your example...they are so frustrating on the whole, but as all comments get moderated now, it's pretty much a waste of time for them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the 'Genealogists for Families' blog, one post from way back kept getting lots of spam comments. I changed the settings to turn off comments for that particular post. Fortunately Blogger makes it easy (Post Settings - Options - Reader comments - Don't allow, show existing).

      Delete